What is FLL and FLL Junior?
FLL stands for FIRST LEGO League and is a team-based robotics competition for 4th-8th grade students. Students demonstrate their Teamwork and Core Values, present their Project, and compete in the Robot Competition at the local tournament.
FLL Junior is FIRST LEGO League Junior for students in Kindergarten to 3rd grade. This program also has students demonstrate their Teamwork, Project, and Robot in a Expo-style event during the FLL local tournament.
How long is the season?
August 30 through November 2016. Teams may qualify for the next level of competition and continue on to Sectionals and State tournaments in winter and early spring.
Important Dates for FIRST LEGO League:
All parent and coaches training events to be held at the BadgerBOTS Education Center (BEC), 7615 Discover Drive, Middleton, WI, 53562
- Wednesday, August 10 OR Monday, August 15 OR Thursday, August 25 – 6:30 PM Parent’s Meetings for FLL (Adults Only Please)
- Tuesday, August 30 – Kickoff event at Memorial HS. FLL Animal Allies – EVERYONE in FLL attends!
- 6:30 PM FIRST LEGO League Rules Review
- 7:00 Animal Allies Missions Reveal
- 7:30 Team Formation and Registration
The Kickoff event will be at Memorial High School, on the west side, enter through the planetarium entrance on Gammon Rd, go forward 150 feet to the second large space and look for all the people!
- Tuesday, September 6 – FLL Coach Training 6 PM. Coaches, assistant Coaches, and parents are invited to learn the basics of FLL and how to ensure your team has a great season.
- Saturday, September 17 – FLL Coach Training 9 AM
- Wednesday, September 21 – FLL Team Formation Meeting 6 PM.
- Saturday/Sunday October 22-23 – Optional Project Presentation at the Wisconsin Science Festival.
- Tentative: Monday, November 21 – FLL Scrimmage
- To Be Determined– BadgerLand Regional Tournament (all teams), Sectional Qualifiers and the State Championship event!
Important Dates for FIRST LEGO League Junior:
- Wednesday, August 10 OR Monday, August 15 OR Thursday, August 25 – 6:30 PM Parent’s Meetings (Adults Only Please)
- Thursday, September 8 – FLL Junior Kick-Off 6 PM
- To Be Determined– BadgerLand Regional Tournament
What is the time commitment?
The level of participation is up to coaches, team members, and parents to determine, but we suggest one to two weekly meetings through the season. Teams can meet at a team member’s home, in a library or classroom, or at BadgerBOTS. The BadgerBOTS Education Center (BEC) will be open 3 – 9 PM Monday – Thursday and 8 AM – 4 PM Saturdays for teams to meet for practice. We recommend a minimum of two 1.5 hour team meetings a week. The adult coaches and mentors must be present for all meetings at the BEC. Teams need not always meet at the BEC, but robot field sets, mentors, and technical help will be available there while the facility is open.
How much does it cost?
$175 per child for FLL, $75 per child for Junior FIRST LEGO League. Limited scholarships are available.
How can I learn more?
Attend one of the Parent Information Nights at BadgerBOTS: Wednesday, August 10 OR Monday, August 15 OR Thursday, August 25 – 6:30 PM
Read more about the BadgerBOTS Program and FIRST.
How do I register my student?
If you plan to coach your child, or your child already has a coach – register as Part of a Team
If you are interested in joining a team – register as No Team Yet. No payment is due until you find a team to join.